Find what you're looking for

Monday 3 January 2011

Ho, ho, ho, and a merry - *what*mas?

Meant to put this up last Monday, but the Internet went kaput at the house for awhile. Hence, me putting it up this week, even though we're already into the new year.

Over the past - I don't know quite how long, but I'm guessing a decent few years - people have sometimes been writing Xmas, not Christmas. This seems a bit strange. I mean, yeah, I get that some non-Christians aren't too happy with Christian ideas coming into their lives - so they changed AD and BC into CE and BCE, put Santa as the present-giver, put the Easter Bunny as egg-distributor - but Christmas? Surely, we can keep the name at least. Honestly, so much else of it has been taken, in one way or another. Plus, Xmas just sounds weird. It just does, I'm afraid.

Though, thankfully, you don't really see or hear it too often. More often than not, it's simply a shorthand, for those who can't be bothered to write the whole thing. Usually, I don't have a problem with shorthand (as long as there isn't an excessive overuse of obscure acronyms), but in this case, I'd ask that we make the effort to write Christmas. Keep the X out of it.

And a reasonably belated Merry Christmas to you all, as well as a Happy New Year. Welcome to 2011.

6 comments:

  1. Same to you man! Totally agree…but I'd be even happier if you changed the font colour to something more readable…try a light pink or orange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. A light pink or orange doesn't really work with the colour scheme, I'm afraid. But I'll try playing around with it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knock yourself out man, just try what works. It's still a bit of a pain in the neck to read :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh....never happy, are we? Honestly, I haven't seen any problem with the text colour. Honestly, I didn't see one with the previous one, either. It's dark enough that the edges of letters are clearly visible, and the right colour to differentiate from the background. Most other colours I've tried either have one of those as faults, or really, really don't work with what I've got at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I can't pinpoint the problem, perhaps it's the variance in the background that kind of makes it hard to read. The blog archive is unreadable and the "about me" is hard to read too. Mom said it's hard to read the main text too.

    I don't know, try changing the background's contrast to make it less variable perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The backgrounds not great, but it's one of the best 'preset' ones they've got. The rest are a heck of a lot more varied, and it's difficult to get your hands on a decent picture to download that's under the file size limit yet big enough. I've played around with it a bit more, think it's a bit better. We'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)