Find what you're looking for

Monday 21 March 2011

Icebergs.

This week, I thought I'd talk - well, write - about something that I've really noticed for a while now.
In my life, I have a lot of people that I know, a lot of people that I talk to, get along with fairly well. But generally, there's a bit of a smaller number that I really get to know well, that I really like to see, that sort of thing. Over the past few years, however, I've noticed something - people don't always stick around. Sometimes, they have to go. For one reason for another. And - not through anything I had done, but each for their own reasons - for the past few years, I've had a fair number of good friends leave. We're still friends, but they just went somewhere else, or got busier, life caught up with them, that sort of thing.

And I sort of felt like I was in the middle of an iceberg, and little bits were coming off at the edges, taking other people away, and I never saw them again. Of course, I see a couple of them every now and again. It's a small world, so it's fairly inevitable that I'll bump into them at some point. But it can be very difficult, just wondering why everybody is leaving. But recently, I realised that it's not the full picture. Because, just as some fragments break off the iceberg, new fragments float in. They don't take their place, and they never can. Nothing ever can. But it's something, at least - it is a give and take, not just a take. Which is good.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely agree with you on this one. The number of people who have come and gone over the years for me is massive. I think it's all just a part of growing up: as people grow up they change and become who they are…and sometimes who they are no longer complements who you are.

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)