Find what you're looking for

Monday 7 March 2011

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you...

There's a few things been happening around here recently, for those in Australia. As far as I know, that's everyone who's reading this, but you never know, it's good to be hopeful...stranger things have happened...XD
Anyway. Recently, Queensland has been taking a bit of a beating. It has had both a series of bad floods and a tornado recently. Not a very good combination.

Which got me thinking about this question: everybody knows what do when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. It's a commonly used metaphor. But what if life gives you shit? ("Oh! He just said the S word! He can't say that, he's a Christian, they're not supposed to say that stuff!" OK, now you've got it out of your system. As an aside, I did address that idea in my post here.) I mean, what do you do when life just smacks you in the face, and gives you a rough time?

Well, different people handle it differently. Some just try and hit back, and shout and yell at God (or some other higher power) for putting them in this position. Others just can't (or presume/pretend that they can't) take it, and more or less sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. Some people run away as far as they can, until they think they've found somewhere that's better.

And then there are some people who, in the midst of it all, manage to push through it. They probably won't like it, or enjoy it, but they'll bear it, and come out the other side - certainly a fair bit worse for wear - but at least in one piece. That probably does sound a little Hollywood, or story book like, but it works. Sometimes it won't, yes. I'm yet to find anything that will work in every single given situation. I believe it's impossible, but you never know.

But yes, I think that's the answer. Just forge your way through as best as you can, more or less. I know that sounds like a tough call - especially considering some situations you can be in - but I'd say it's probably the better one, compared to the others I've thought of. If you can think of a better one, please, be my guest. I'm happy to discuss.

Oh, and I'm not quite sure how that would translate back into the metaphor I used. Probably better not to try and figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. Fortitude is not about never falling over, it's about managing to get back up each time, even when everyone is screaming at you to stay down.

    It's a bit like stubbornness in that way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite so. Yes, I know a bit about stubbornness :p

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)