Find what you're looking for

Monday 25 April 2011

Fulfilled, not forsaken.

As was mentioned in my previous post, this is pre-written. A lot of it is also from a sort of blog that I previously did awhile ago - didn't have it public or anything, just sort of as a way of expressing myself. So you could say that this has been pre-pre-written.


Easter is a great time. Yes, there's the chocolate. (Though I don't care that much about the chocolate. Shock horror. Unless it's like white chocolate or got caramel in it or something. Oh, and how did we get the idea that eggs came from a bunny?) But then there's Jesus dying on the cross for us. And there's one thing that I've noticed many people don't seem to get about that. (That is, putting aside if you don't get why he wouldn't chicken out.) One of his last phrases on the cross is 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabacthani.' 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?' Perhaps a bit sad that I know it in the original Greek/Hebrew/Latin/ whateverthatis, but that's what he says.
And many people take this to mean that Jesus was separated from God at that point; that God had just left him there to die. But what some people don't know is that it's actually the first verse of a psalm. A psalm prophesying Jesus' death, as it were. Psalm 22. It says stuff like 'They have pierced my hands and my feet', 'I can count all my bones', 'They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for it', 'All who see me mock me', that sort of thing. Which, for those who are familiar with that particular section of the Bible, lines up with many of the facts of Jesus' death. So Jesus was actually saying that the prophecy had come true in him - that he was its fulfilment.
Though, of course, it's quite possible that I'm wrong. But that's just my little idea. Well, not just mine, but that's the idea I'm presenting.


As an aside, if you ever want to take a look at the original blog (not sure quite how good an idea this is, but oh well), I'll put the link up on another tab for those people. Warning: possibly weirder than this blog, as I didn't have anyone actually looking at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)