Find what you're looking for

Saturday 11 June 2011

Something to live for.

There seems to be a fairly frequent reference in many love songs, poems, movies, whatever, that people would do anything for the person they love, and that this is displayed ultimately by willingly dying for them. Perhaps a well-known example of this today would be the song "Grenade" by Bruno Mars.

But I have to say, I have a problem with this view, and I don't agree. I don't think that dying for someone is the ultimate display of love for them. I actually think that living for them is.

Look at the two for a moment with me.
If you die for someone, chances are, it will be very much spur of the moment; something that you barely think about, it's just the decision of a split second, possibly an impulsive reaction. There are times when this is not the case, and Jesus is certainly the best example of this. Apart from these, though, dying for someone is usually very in the moment.
Living for someone, however, is every moment. It's a constant decision to do the right thing by someone, even when it's hard, even when it hurts, even when they don't.

To me, that seems to be a much bigger statement, and a much more difficult thing to do - generally speaking - than dying for someone. Any thoughts from people here?

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, this seemed to have not posted it before, and I found it lying there today. So here it is, still with the time stamp from when it should have been posted. :P

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)