Find what you're looking for

Thursday 21 July 2011

Being thankful.

Most people have certain defaults that they can find very difficult to get out of. Unfortunately, one of my defaults is that it's my first reaction to critique. Sometimes, I'll manage to bite my tongue, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Which ain't good, basically. I need to change that. Because it can cause for some decidedly awkward moments. For example. Rewind to last Sunday afternoon, when (because of me getting baptised) my aunt gave me $50 to get a couple of Christian books that I thought would be helpful from Koorong. My instant reaction was, "With all the books that Dad's already got here?" Wasn't good. It was a fair enough, point, I think; I mean, my Dad was a preacher, and he went to Bible college as well. So we do have heaps of Christian books, Bible books/analyses etc that he used/bought. Enough that I don't know if I'll ever finish them all, so it seemed a bit strange to me to get me to buy more. (Even if many of Dad's books are a few years old.)

But it was still the wrong reaction, and I'm going to need to work on that a lot in future. Because defaults are always a big problem, unfortunately. Though, if you get them right, they can be a big help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)