Find what you're looking for

Thursday 14 July 2011

Creation vs Discovery.

I'm going to write today a bit about something I think about as a songwriter.

I've already mentioned - a few times - previously that I don't fancy the limelight a lot. And for those who create, if they do well, that's a bit hard to avoid. Unless you're only recognised posthumously, like Vincent Van Gogh or something, or get someone else to perform/showcase your work as their own or something. But those who make things that are unique always seem to be well recognised by society.

Discovery, on the other hand, is very different. And I think it's more what I do - when I write a song, I don't feel like I've created it; I feel like I've discovered a great idea, that I want to share with people. And I think that's what discovering is really about; it's about the discovery, not the discoverer. You know, when the guy found the Grand Canyon, I don't think he was saying, "Wow, I'm so amazing, I found the Grand Canyon". No, he'd be saying, "Come look at the Grand Canyon, guys, this is epic!" (Probably wasn't called the Grand Canyon back then, but oh well. You get the idea.) The discovery takes precedence over who it was that discovered it.

And I suppose that's how I always want it to be with the music that I play - not about me, but the music, and the messages and ideas in that.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Dad said much the same thing: "God has put the notes out there, it's up to us to discover them". I kind of agree, but sometimes you like to get a bit of credit, particularly if you've worked really hard at something. *shrugs* Either way, it's just semantics :P but good point :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your Dad's a good man. I know what you mean about getting credit for it; I still love a pat on the back every now and then. I guess it's about priorities, really. What you put first.

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)