Find what you're looking for

Thursday 29 September 2011

Y u no acting, B?

Thought I'd put up a post about this. I've had a few remarks here and there that my music is quite theatrical, or that I'd be pretty good in theatre/acting.

Firstly, just to give a bit of background: I've been in the school musical in years 6, 10 and 11. Year 6 was one of the main parts (I think the character with the third most lines or something), year 10 was chorus, and year 11 was a couple of minor parts. I was also involved in A Midsummer Night's Dream, where I was two relatively minor parts. (Funny, though. Liked them. :) )

So I have done a bit of acting, and I like doing it. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it, too. So the question may arise, then - why haven't I pursued this?

Well, the reason is fairly simple, but the explanation will take a bit longer: I don't want to be in a spot where I'd have to say, "No, I won't do that." Won't, not can't. There's a few things I'd say that to: A role where the character was smoking, swearing excessively,doing drugs, or in an involved relationship.

The first few are fairly simple; I just don't want to do things that I'm against. So you could probably include a few other things in there as well, I guess.

The last one, though, less so. You might find that a bit weird, particularly because of the proliferance of relationships in most drama. (By the "involved", by the way, I simply mean a relationship where the two people are actively interested in each other. So I wouldn't have any problem, for example, playing Mr Sowerberry from Oliver! because he and his wife barely interact.) Here's my logic: with this sort of thing, I don't want to "act" it. Either it's real, or I'm not interested. As such, if I don't have those sort of feelings for the person that my character would, I wouldn't do that.

So there's my dilemma. Which annoys me. Thankfully, I haven't faced that problem yet. But it annoys me because I really like acting and such. Wouldn't mind doing it a bit on the side or something. But I don't want to end up in this sort of position....

Any ideas from people would be most welcome. Particularly as the comments seem to be drying up as of late. I know they're only reviews, guys, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with me. Feel free to say that I'm talking out of my backside, if you want. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say :)

4 comments:

  1. I'd recommend auditioning for "safe" roles. As you wouldn't be doing it massively, you could always find out what's going on and make sure you agree with what you're doing. You can always say "no", as it's not like you have to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Problem is, it would be a bit further down the track before I got the luxury of trying out for a part (I'd guess). Until then, you just do a general tryout, usually get an extras role, but every now and then they say, "hey, you got this part!" and I'd feel bad turning them down. Though that's really just a guess as to how it goes, I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But but but. You are not going to actually be in love with the person, that's why it's called "Acting".
    And I'm sure there are parts where relationships aren't involved..?Like, the funnyman?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, but I just wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    Yeah, I've done the funny man a couple of times :) Tis good. And that's what I like doing too :) So hopefully it won't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)