Find what you're looking for

Friday 7 October 2011

Requiescat In Pace.

The latin for "Rest In Peace", just in case you didn't know.

I've noticed a few times that I've never heard of people - at all - until they died. Yes, this is partly because of my lack of interest in news and such, but still... People seem to be a lot more well known in death than in life.

For example, before he died, I had no idea who Peter Brock was. Not a clue. As well as that, sad as it sounds, before yesterday I had never heard the name Steve Jobs. I mean, yeah, I knew someone was the head of Apple, but had no idea who it was. And when I heard the name, I didn't know who they were talking about; I didn't recognise the face, didn't get why everybody was making such a fuss.

Of course, now I do. And it is quite a loss to the world, as an aside - we haven't had a Mac for that long, but it was the computer that they had both at high school and now at uni. Plus things like the iPod, iPad, iTunes, etc - Steve Jobs has had a pretty big impact on the world of today. But that's an aside.

And it got me thinking - despite this phenomenon being largely due to the mass media, I think a very similar thing would've happened back in Jesus' time. Lots of people knew him during his lifetime - but I bet so many more knew him after he died (and particularly after he was raised again). And I bet a lot of people were feeling similarly then to what I was yesterday in regard to Steve Jobs - "Who on earth is this Jesus guy?" "How come everyone's talking about him?" "What the heck did he do that makes him so special?"

And, maybe similarly to me, they felt similarly once they did find out about him. And they did get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)