Find what you're looking for

Wednesday 5 October 2011

The Ruins of Gorlan.

I know, I didn't do a Q. I was hoping for a book, but I couldn't find any books starting with Q that I actually knew. So I've skipped it. :P I might do a delayed post later, if I can find something decent.

This one is the first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. It's probably targeted at a slightly younger audience than me, but I still like it.

Once again, back in medieval times. (I seem to be saying that a bit.) An orphan called Will strives to become a warrior, but is just too small. Instead, he is taken under the wing of Halt, one of the King's elusive and mysterious Rangers. Over time, he learns their skills of stealth and subterfuge, and even befriends his childhood rival-come-Warrior-apprentice, Horace. But bigger things are threatening the kingdom of Araluen, and Will is going to need to use all he has learned as a Ranger, not just to protect himself, but also his friends...

And yes, I wrote that, I didn't copy it. :P I've always liked the books/movies etc that were based on characters that were really focussed on stealth, it's just something I've always found interesting. As such, this is a series I find quite interesting - but it also has elements of adventure, comedy, a bit of action; it's a good mix, and I really quite like it. You do get some slightly cliched characters that fit into very easy slots; but they're also very likeable characters, and I think it works well.

The series does go on for a number of books, but this one's just good as a stand-alone if you'd prefer not to get into another series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)