Find what you're looking for

Friday 30 December 2011

Measuring a life's worth.

Recently, I put this post up on Facebook: "When you look back on your life, how do you measure its worth?" I got three replies. Here they are, exactly as written:


"Buy the money iv earnt in the last 11 years"
"You don't."
"In living faithfully to the Lord Jesus."


Each of these, obviously, represents a very different worldview. And I intend to respond to each of them in turn with subsequent posts, but firstly; a bit on measuring a life's worth, both historically and from my own head.


The idea is fairly old. The Ancient Egyptians thought that when you died, your soul/heart/actions in life would be weighed up against the feather of Ma'at - that being the Egyptian concept of truth, justice, etc etc, you get it. Apparently, as a random aside, it was an ostrich feather.


The book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible (commonly thought to have been written by King Solomon) also goes a bit into this, mentioning that at the end of it all, people really only want to create some sort of legacy for themselves, something that lives on after them. I believe it also mentions that it is next to impossible, and most things you do are meaningless. Just once or twice.


And in this day and age, many people strive to get more out of their lives - they don't want to get to the end and have all their achievements just be a portfolio. People, places, events experienced and shared - this is what people are going towards now. But more than that, I reckon it's one word off that Tears for Fears song.  I reckon everybody wants to change the world. It's just what they want to change it to - or how much they want to change - that really defines them, I suppose. And I'm certainly no exception. And I'll add my two cents at the end of this mini-series of posts. I may add a couple more, if I get some more comments either here or on FB. But that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)