Find what you're looking for

Monday 26 December 2011

Peace and goodwill?

This Christmas, we had an extra family come to share with us, who had been staying with my cousins. Two daughters and a son. This is where I should probably give you a very quick background on a couple of characters before launching into my story.

My cousin is very, very different to me. Just straight up. He's got a very mathematical manner to him (he does economics :P) and though I've got that too, mine's balanced out by the more "feely" side from my mum. He also likes to be very...independent. I'm being slightly picky with my word choice here as there's every chance he'll read this at some point in the future. Basically, though - yeah, independent. Sticks to his own way of doing things. I'm a bit like that too, but...well, you'll see.

My aunt (my cousin's mum) is where he gets the numbers from. They're quite similar, in a lot of ways. But she's the mum. Which can lead to a bit of friction, as I'll describe momentarily...

OK. Background out. So, essentially, this is what happened; the son of the family that came to stay with us got my cousin a bit riled, so he was already in a bad mood. The other son's attitude got my aunt a bit annoyed as well. A fraction too much friction, and, sparks flew. That's what tends to happen. Shout, shout, storm off. And my cousin going, but, it was all fine? I don't get why we can't just do it this way.. [his way]. He then decided to go out for a golf on the oval (5 minutes walk). He managed to get out without anybody seeing. Trouble was, he was rostered on for lunch (yes, we have a roster while we're here) and so my aunt got more annoyed. WHERE IS HE?! She was not happy. Very not happy. She went to take a walk with her dog to try and calm down a bit. Meanwhile, we'd decided that I'd just swap around with Tim (I was on for dinner) for now, because stuff had to get done. When she got back, she wouldn't have a bar of it. "No! Not on your life! If he's going to do that, he can just not come to the next Christmas or Easter or whatever it is, as far as I'm concerned!" She was then asking what his punishment was going to be. The scene, unfortunately, reminded me somewhat of Argus Filch after finding Harry Potter next to the petrified Mrs Norris. "I want to see some punishment!" It was decided that he would do all the work after lunch. Packing up, washing up, drying up, etc.

So much for grace.

She did eventually calm down, and it's all good now. I think it did end up getting shared around  little. But...yeah.

1 comment:

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)