Find what you're looking for

Monday 27 February 2012

Interview #4: Little Miss Music Reviewer

For today's interview, we have my friend over at http://nevermindthearias.blogspot.com.au/ who's kindly decided to answer a few questions for me.


For those who don't know you, who are you/what do you do?
Basically, I’m a music student who lives and breathes music of every sort. It’s my life, it’s my passion and if you get me started on the subject I WILL talk you into the ground with abounding enthusiasm. I even like theory. *coughnerdymuchcough*

Haha. Don't worry, it's not just you. :P

I do enjoy writing words as well as notes though, so when I’m not buried in music I’m usually writing with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek :P

Good to hear.

So how did you get into this music reviewing thing?
Ahhh, excuse me whilst I get a little nostalgic: I still remember my first album review like it was yesterday! It was in Year 10 and I chose to critique U2’s “U2: 18 Singles”. It came back with most of my wording crossed out and deserved the pretty woeful mark it achieved.
Then, when I first started uni, I realised how little I had ventured outside of my music comfort zone (read: The Beatles, U2 and ABBA). Tired of nodding and smiling in ignorance while people talked of musicians from The Velvet Underground through to Gotye, I decided I needed to self-educate myself in the area of popular music. For a laugh, I thought it might be an idea to improve my handling of my least favourite form of writing: reviews. A whacking great dose of Christmas-holiday boredom sent me clunking through my opening post and, 14 months later, reviewing is one of my favourite ways to string words together!

Hmmm. Maybe I should try doing that with essays, then.... XD

Worst and best album so far?
Oooh, that’s tricky…I’ve discovered so many great and awful bands/musicians through my reviews that it’s so hard to pick one of each! I’d have to say the Jersey Boys soundtrack has been my best find though (and currently the only recipient of 5/5 stars!), as, not only are the Broadway arrangements fantastic, it introduced me to the epicness of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. :D Villagers’ "Becoming A Jackal", Tom Waits’ "Raindogs" and Mumford and Sons’ "Sigh No More" are also among my favourites.
Worst??? I think I’m going to give that to Michael Buble’s "Christmas". I’m sorry, but it was just too pathetic. Mind you, my Lady Gaga and Adele experiences were a bit hard on the ears…and a review of Joanna Newsom’s "Ys" is yet to come! :S

Think we can agree there. I've also heard that Christmas album, and...yeah.

Uni's back this week. Thoughts?
I hope I still have time to review albums at least once or twice a month!!!
I have a written schedule of 2-3 albums for each month of this year which I really want to stick to instead of being so sporadic with my posts…but be patient dear readers, uni is a demanding boss :P

If you can manage to keep to that schedule, I will be suitably impressed.

Any ideas on what after uni?
Yes! Music journalism is all fine and dandy (and I wouldn’t say no to any opportunities in that area!) but I’m also passionate about music education, so that’s my career plan :D

Well, you have more plans than I do. Good stuff :)

Being the incredible pianist you are, you obviously practiced each day for five hours since you were six. Yes?
Awww shucks, you’re too kind!! I hate to disillusion you (and myself…hehe), but the answer to that is no :P I’ve been playing since I was six, yes, but five hours practice a day just doesn’t happen – it’s usually about two (and then perhaps another hour on my guitar). Hence why I have time to sit around reviewing music, instead of touring internationally…

Firstly: Hang on, you actually started when you were six? OK then.... Secondly: you manage two/three hours a day? Good job, I can barely ever manage one... :P

And finally, why the name (of the blog)?
I usually intensely dislike the vast majority of contemporary popular music – ie. the hits that make it onto the Australian Recording Industry Awards (ARIA) charts here in Oz…so I replaced the “Bollocks” in The Sex Pistols’ iconic album title with “ARIAs” and named my blog as a constant reminder that I prefer retro quality over contemporary hype. That’s not to say that I don’t groove to “Pumped Up Kicks” occasionally…

Haha. Good stuff.

3 comments:

  1. That was interesting. I can't believe you practise piano 3 hours a day-I can't practise for half an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brendan for interviewing me, it was a pleasure to contribute to your blog! :)

    @CricketFreak - Well, I try...sometimes work and uni mean half an hour is all I get!! But I enjoy it, so it often doesn't feel like work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best to you. Thanks a lot for this post.


    Interview Questions

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)