Find what you're looking for

Monday 7 May 2012

Gold rush! & other thoughts...

Yes, I haven't been following my schedule lately. So shoot me. :P I've been getting lazy. And busy. This play starts on Friday. Yeah. Looking forward to it :D

Anyway, thought I'd put a couple of things up. Got together with a friend of mine today that I met through uni (though he doesn't actually go to uni, but he's a friend of the leader of the Christian group). He's a bit of a muso as well - though more of a maker than a player - so that's kind of what we did. And we had a good game of chess, which he beat me at. Neither of us had played it much for a long time.

But we also got talking about Christianity and such. And he was saying some pretty interesting stuff, which I could very much relate to. He was talking about how he wasn't out to convert people. Not to Christianity, not to some denomination, not anything. That wasn't his job. The Holy Spirit does that. He was saying that all he was out to do was tell people that they were living on a gold mine. Figuratively speaking, that is. The gold mine of grace, and love, and mercy that God has on offer for us, and that he wants to give to all of us. Every single one. Some people just don't really get it yet. They just have to accept the gift.

I think I like that. :)

He also showed me the first part of a short movie called Zeitgeist. Have a look on Youtube if you want, it's up there. Just search for part 1. Fair warning, though - if you are a Christian, and you're not so much into all the reasoning and apologetics and such, probably not a video for you, on a couple of levels. If you are, also be warned - it's some pretty heavy stuff.

If you did watch it, my argument against it is below. If you didn't, tis cool, and see you next time on the blog :)

You ever heard of the "Kookaburra (Sits In The Old Gum Tree)" vs "Down Under" debate? The claim that the flute line from Down Under was taken from the previous? It's fairly commonly known. It's also often disputed - people either arguing that it shouldn't matter, or that they could have both hit upon the same idea.
And that happens all the time. You get lots of cases where ideas, inventions, etc that are almost identical are thought up in complete isolation of each other. Just because A is identical to B and came after it, doesn't mean that A copied B. Neither does it mean that we need to look for source C from earlier on that they both copied from.
Of course, when we're talking about a person's life - in the case of Jesus - it does get a bit more complex. But who's to say that God didn't make it so common - the 12 repeated, virgin birth, resurrection, etc, all the stuff they said - so that people of the time would just understand it better? Who's to say it wasn't all just pointing towards Jesus, a shadow of what was to come? Little idea I had, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)