Find what you're looking for

Thursday 21 June 2012

The Jan Diaries - June 21st

Thought I'd start at a place I've gotten to know quite well - the last part I played, Jan Warwick, and the world of The Unexpected Guest. I think I'll do a few short ones on this line. All stories (unless otherwise noted) are written from the period before the events of the play, and written mainly from the perspective of Jan.

 * * *

The diaries of Jan Albert Warwick;
On the date of June the Twenty-First.

Benny was cross at me again today. She said it was the fourth time that she'd asked me not to leave my clothes on my bed. But I was just leaving them there ready to put away later. I had other things to do. Life isn't just about cleaning, and putting things away, and washing things. That's for the servants to do. She just didn't understand. She never would; how could she? She wasn't me.
She thinks that she takes care of me, but of course it's the other way around. I don't need to be taken care of. She, on the other hand, can't seem to live without me constantly doing whatever it is she come up with next. I suppose for now I shall have to put up with it. Perhaps Richard will nearly shoot someone again and we shall have to move. That might be better.

Richard was quite active today, what with him not being able to walk and all. But it was a warm day today, so he seemed to almost enjoy himself, if it can even be said that he does that. He was aiming the rifle at some squirrels; though he didn't hit them all this time, they seemed as active as he was today. But he didn't seem to mind. The "thrill of the chase", as those hunting things say. He got one eventually, of course. He always does. Well, that is when there is something there for him to shoot. Sometimes on some very cold winter days there hasn't been. Then he just shoots at some of the bushes. Topiary, he called it. You may as well perform heart surgery with a hammer and tongs.

Laura took me on a walk today. It's fun when we do that. Only on the grounds, of course, but they're so big it doesn't matter. Richard sometimes jokes that if it were any bigger, we could have a golf course. Haven't played golf before. But from what I've heard about it, it's not that much fun. Though it does sound like Richard's sort of game, with lots of birdies, eagles, albatrosses and putting a hole in one. Though I get the feeling that if it's Richard, there will be a hole in more than just one.
We went out past the hedges, the rose bushes and the flower beds. They don't look as good as they used to when Griffiths was around. I mean, we still had a gardener, but he wasn't as experienced. He did the job, but they didn't look nearly as good. Laura still liked it though, so that was alright.

And Julian came over as well! He's got the election happening in a month and a half, but he still comes over sometimes. Laura likes it when he comes over. I like it too. Sometimes we play cricket together in the garden. That's always fun. And then he always has a long talk with Richard after dinner, until after I get put to bed. Sometimes I get up and see if I can hear what they're talking about, but I can never hear very much. Just bits about the war sometimes.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)