Find what you're looking for

Sunday 17 June 2012

Stories of old...

These days, it seems like musicians/artists/filmies/writers are almost just doing social commentary with what they make. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself - but it can get a bit much. We already have the news to give us our daily helping of how bad the world's getting, yeah?

I mean, I'll be the first one to say that music is a fantastic way to get a message out. And that's often what I do with my music - it's what I did for my final performance this semester at uni. But when it becomes pretty much all you do - I think it gets a bit much.

You know what I'd like to see more of? Stories. About people. People sharing things about themselves when they be creative. That's what it's about. Putting a little bit of yourself into what you're making.

I wrote this song - maybe a year ago, I think. Certainly not more than a year. It builds on this idea of stories, really. I'll just put the sng down, then I'll continue with what I'm saying.

Once Upon A Time

V1:
Once upon a time, when I was only a few years old
I slept with my eyes open, or at least so I'm told
I liked the rollercoaster quite a bit more than my mother
And my little sister loved to annoy her older brother
Once upon a time

V2:
Once upon a time, a a few more years on
Accidentally pulled the middle finger, got in trouble, didn't realise it was wrong
I was in the year two reading class, though I was only in Kindy
Only year 2 thing I was ever in, I skipped it cause they thought I was a smarty
Once upon a time

Chorus:
Well all these things, they are true
They really happened to me, what I'm telling to you
But all these things, they are gone
Only memories left that carry on

V3:
Once upon a time, when I was in year 7
Like Harry Potter, that year I was eleven
I got bullied a fair bit, got called quite a few names
I just laughed with them, it confused them, how I didn't play by the rules of their games
Once upon a time

V4:
Once upon a time, when I was in year 9
I still had a soprano voice, hadn't quite yet crossed that line
Was one of the shortest in my class, hadn't had my growth spurt
But I quite liked it, being shorter it never hurt
Once upon a time

Chorus

Bridge:
Things like this can be lost if we don't remember
They may be happy, silly or sad
But please don't forget them, pass them on to another
Share the life that you've had

Chorus

That's the song. And the thing about each of the things I mention in it is this - if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know them. You wouldn't know them to look at me. You might be able to guess one or two, but you wouldn't know.

Have a think. What are things about you that people wouldn't know, just by looking at you? What can you share with them that only you can tell? What's your chapter in this story, your version of this song?

It's your story, and it's amazing. Don't let it die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)