Find what you're looking for

Saturday 4 August 2012

The wrong I'd prefer to be.

I know, I haven't done P versus J yet. Next post, hopefully.

 There's a lot of things I believe - as a Christian, mainly, but also some things as a person, a musician, etc - that many others will contest with me on. And that's part and parcel of anything, really. You take any stance, there are going to be people who disagree with you.

And with some things, I don't really mind that much. Let them like that movie/music/book/colour/socks/food. It's not hurting anybody. It's what they enjoy.

But I suppose that's my line. If it's something that hurts other people - then I'll actually put some sort of effort into arguing against it. Probably not as much as I should - I'm notorious for being backward in coming forward - but that's certainly my 'uncomfortable' line, I guess.

And that will, by and large, be how I define a lot of my views - if it hurts other people (intentionally, in the main, though some unintentional as well), then it's wrong, from a Christian perspective. That's why I'll stand against things like abortion, discrimination against various minority groups, people against women preaching, anti-gay marriage, etc etc. That's just a few. (Quick aside - I'm not an extremist, with an abortion. There are a  few isolated cases where I would leave it up to the mother/doctor's opinion, but they'd be a fairly small minority.)

And, I suppose, in each of these cases, I could well be wrong. With a couple of these, people can make very convincing arguments against me that come straight from the Bible. I've looked them up.

But, as a friend of mine recently put it (which I was quite delighted to read, as I'd planned to do this post for a while now): 'I would much rather be on the side I am and be “wrong” than be on the other side and be “wrong”.' I'd rather stand in front of God and be accused of loving too many people (which sounds absurd to me; look at Jesus, for goodness' sake), than stand in front of God and be accused of ostracising his people. I'm probably representing it in a bit of a black and white fashion, ad hominem, et cetera. I'd still prefer to be this wrong.

2 comments:

  1. There is too little love in our world.
    If everyone vowed to just love a little more, or one more person, what a world this would be

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)