Find what you're looking for

Monday 1 October 2012

Impressing.

There was something I found somewhat amusing that I experienced this weekend.

I was at a 21st birthday party of a good friend of mine. Now, as you may recollect, I'm not much of a party man. At parties, I tend to wander around aimlessly, doing squat. Particularly when I know next to nobody at the party. Which was the case here. (Funnily enough, actually met someone who had done my music course, but a year above me. But wasn't much else.)

So, strangely enough, I found myself drawn over to the piano. This has happened before at a few social events.
And I started tinkering away. You know, Piano Man. Good one to start off with. Someone else came in, asked me to play something else. I played Hallelujah. They said I was pretty good. They asked what else I could play. .... I said, pretty much anything. So they got a song off their iPod, and asked me to play that. Got it eventually - the hardest part is usually the key, the chord progression wasn't too difficult. Then they did that with a couple more. Then they said, OK, if you can do this one, you're amazing. It was the Four Chords sequence. :P Needless to say, I got it quite quickly. A couple of others gave me another song later with the same thing happening.

Needless to say, I find it somewhat amusing that people outside of the - music sphere, if you will - can be impressed by me recognising and playing along to the Four Chords sequence. That's not terribly impressive. Not saying that I didn't do anything impressive. I did teach a one-handed version of Fur Elise to someone who was half-drunk. At least half. She did pretty well, actually; think she might have a bit of musical aptitude.

But anyway. Think that's probably a general thing; when people don't understand what's happening, it's quite easy to impress them. After all, that's how most magic works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)