Find what you're looking for

Saturday 17 November 2012

Subtext.

I've mentioned a million and one times, I know, I'm not great at communication. This time, I'm looking a bit closer at subtext.

Subtext is something I can actually pick up. Sort of. Generally, how it happens is something along these lines: Person A will present Line B with Subtext C.
I'll pick up B straight away, and wonder at C. My brain will then think - ah, but it could also be D, E, F or G. And, actually, we shouldn't forget H through to M. Actually, just throw the whole alphabet in, to be safe. It will still hang on to C as the most likely, but I won't really mention it unless it comes up a fair bit, and fairly obviously. I've been wrong before, and it gets . . . awkward. I'm very bad when it comes to dealing with awkward.

So I can actually pick it up, and a fair bit earlier than people would guess. I just don't let on. Particularly if it's a subtext I'm not liking the possible implications of. In that instance, I'll likely throw whatever I've got at it so that I don't have to deal with said implications. As mentioned, not good at dealing with awkward.

Admittedly, that's probably mainly because I've had next to no experience at dealing with it, so running away from it won't really help. I just make it very difficult for myself - you can't exactly start at the shallow end of the pool when only jumping off the diving board is what actually scares you. It's not really going to help. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)