Find what you're looking for

Thursday 15 August 2013

My funeral.

I don't get funerals. Well, I do get them, but I don't.
From the world's perspective, they're often a chance for people to be sad that the person isn't around any more, with a touch on it being a celebration of their life occasionally.
From the Christian perspective, it's supposed to be a celebration of the fact that they're with God now; a happy and joyous occasion. There will, inevitably, be some sadness; but the joy should be prevalent.

And yet, it doesn't seem to be so much what you see. You still get a lot of black and suits at weddings.
Well, my funeral will be different.

You won't be allowed to wear black. At all. Except for maybe shoes. No hiding-away-the-tears-sunglasses.
It will be outside, if it's not blowing a gale or bucketing down. Buildings are just extra walls to try and enclose the feelings that people have; let them burst out!
Sunflowers, not roses, or white flowers, and definitely not plastic ones.
Certainly no sad, slow songs. Reflective and contemplative is the closest to that you'll hear.
There will be lots of food, laughter, and people. A party, essentially!
And I'll have to think of something silly to get them all laughing at some point. I remember Adam Hills mentioning that at one of his friends' funerals, they all wore bunny ears. Something like that.
Not too many speeches. Leaves time for more eating, drinking and laughing. Any speeches should be about non-sad stuff.
Words such as "mourning," "grieving," and related phrases shouldn't be used. Neither should people be telling each other that they'll "get through this,".

Instead, be happy! Laugh! Tell a joke or two! Maybe I'll have a comedian at my funeral, that'd be good.
But it should be joyful, not sorrowful.

I do get why it is different, for many people. Maybe many will see this as insensitive or rude, and perhaps after I lose someone a bit closer to me I'll feel the same way. But I hope, that even if there is that sadness, that joy will still be there; hope, faith and love will never fail.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting! A celebration of life in a way... hope you're planning on a lot more years yet before this needs to be prepared though. :P

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)