Find what you're looking for

Thursday 21 April 2011

Let Thy Will Be Done.

Easter is coming up. Easter Friday is tomorrow. (Or at least it will be when you're reading this.) So I thought I'd look at something that was about the same time from the Bible - Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. For those of you not too much familiar with the Bible, basically, Gethsemane was where Jesus and his disciples went before Jesus was arrested to be tried and executed.

One thing that someone I remember found of particular interest was the way that Jesus prayed as it was told in John. It says that he 'looked toward heaven and prayed.' Usually, when we pray, we bow our heads, but Jesus looked up towards heaven. (Though I suppose it does not specify up; that's just an assumption I've made. It could well have been anywhere. Or maybe he looked on a different dimensional level, I don't know.) And I find this very interesting as well. Because when we bow our heads, it's like we are contemplating something, thinking within ourselves. And there is the Holy Spirit inside us, so it could be said that that's what we look to when we pray. But if, like Jesus, we look up, then it becomes a conversation with our God in heaven; it looks so much more open. It's not so much about what we do; it's more just about the mindset, the attitude that I'm thinking of. When we pray, are we praying about our own ideas? Our own priorities and goals? Or God's?

When I think about this, I always remember the words that Jesus finished that particular prayer with (though I believe this wasn't in John's gospel) 'your will, not mine.' And that's the mindset that we need to have, I think. That's what's important.

2 comments:

  1. I'd definitely have to agree with you on this one. From experience, trusting in God's plan for me has always worked out better than what I wanted-or thought I wanted. The moment I stopped trying to make my plans work, things started getting a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Experiment House x100...great post Brendan, very thoughtful and so true :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)