As can be imagined, this has made some people lucratively happy, and others somewhat outraged/annoyed. And both sides are fairly easy to understand; one the one hand, MOAR STAR WARS!!! On the other - all the bad guys died. The people who played the good guys have, erm... aged a bit... so where on earth can another Star Wars film go, and live up to the previous ones?
Thought I'd give it a bit of a look.
For the positive.
- Another Star Wars film is being made. Possibly three; I believe one thing I read mentioned 8 and 9 as well.
- Disney also currently owns both Pixar and Marvel. Did anyone have a problem with The Avengers? Anyone? Anyone?
- With the massive fanbase behind the Star Wars franchise, Disney know what will happen if they put even a toe out of line with the film.
- Maybe we'll get some bad guys who can actually shoot this time...
- The Star Wars series effectively sealed itself off. The Sith are all dead. You can't say, "Oh no! Darth Sidious didn't actually die!" He died. End of story, bye-bye!
- All of the actors for the main characters in the last movie have gotten a bit old to play those roles again. It would be manufacturing a whole new story arc, just within the same universe. And if they didn't....
- Then other actors would be playing those parts. No. Just no. It's bad enough in a movie no-one's seen, like Dinotopia. (Great movie, as an aside.) It's just wrong in something like Star Wars. (They can get away with different ones for the trilogies because of the time difference. Both of them. :P)
- What are they going to call it? "A New New Hope", "A Newer Hope", or perhaps; "Attack of the Feral Ewoks"? That would be amusing, at least.