Find what you're looking for

Wednesday 17 October 2012

The difference of observation.

Quantum physics is an interesting topic. I'm not a quantum physicist myself, but I do know a couple of things about it. One of the things I do know is Schrödinger's Cat. The idea proposed is that there is a cat, and a box. If you put the cat in the box with a radioactive substance and close the lid, two eventualities are possible. Either the cat will be alive, or it will be dead. Quantum physics says that both occur simultaneously while the box is closed. However, as soon as you open the lid, it resolves into one or the other.

And this actually occurs with electrons - if an electron is shot towards a card with two holes in it and is unobserved, it will go through both simultaneously. If it is observed, it will go through one or the other. The act of observation impacts what is being observed.

Observing something - paying attention to it - makes a big difference. I've found that, to a large degree, if I look at something enough, I can develop an interest in it. Anything from abseiling to zookeeping, really. Presently unsure if that extends to an appreciation of Rebecca Black's Friday.

Jokes, aside, people often judge things before they really take a good look. Most disputes are due to errors in either communication or understanding. If we can fix part of that by simply being more attentive and actively interested in things - is that so difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)