Find what you're looking for

Friday 10 February 2017

Not in La La Land.

The other evening, I went to see La La Land. I had pretty high hopes for it going in. It had been recommended by a number of friends, and also by Adam Savage (whom I hold a lot of respect for), and had been nominated for a heck of a lot of awards. I wasn't let down in the slightest.

This movie is beautifully done in so many different ways. The way it is shot is reminiscent of films from an older time, particularly the song sequences. There are so many little nods here and there to various older works and tropes - yet also, to the modern-day world. The characters are loveable, yet flawed. The story is the classic of dream vs reality. And also - which dream? The career dream, or the relationship dream? All those questions are asked, and sometimes answered, sometimes not. But it takes you for a beautiful ride along the way.

But, most of all, the music is amazing. Incredible. Fantastic. Justin Hurwitz (composer) has done a beautiful job, as have Benj Pasek and Justin Paul with the lyrics. You will have Mia and Sebastian's theme stuck in your head from the start, and the little times that earlier songs are reprised instrumentally in the background is masterfully done. If you see it a second time, you may find yourself singing along to a few of the songs - which were all written for the movie!

If you haven't yet seen this movie, do yourself a favour. Go and see it.

A word of warning, however - the ending may take you by surprise, and is my only gripe with the movie. I see why they did it the way they did; but it does seem to end rather suddenly. But that's my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)