Find what you're looking for

Thursday 23 February 2012

Mass Effect 3 [Demo]

I'm a bit of a fan of the Mass Effect series. It's got some solid action happening, with good shooting and stuff; but it's also got a great RPG line, divergent storyline and everything. And so far, I've liked all of it, and it's been really good. So, of course, I've really been looking forward to Mass Effect 3, already pre-ordered the deluxe edition....yeah. So just a bit of bias here.

The demo came out a few days back. And, for the first time, multiplayer! In Mass Effect! And it's....good. I'm quite impressed with it, really. It's quite enjoyable, and I'm really liking it. Not getting bored with it at all as yet, though it'll probably happen eventually. But good so far. And it's the sort of one that you don't need to be able to communicate with the other people for, so it's not super annoying when you don't have VOIP working. But it's still definitely fairly challenging, with three different difficulties and two maps you can work with.

As well as that, you have the single player. It doesn't show you a lot, of course, but what it does show I'm liking. They've improved the powers and upgrading system a bit, changed how you move with cover, and the weapon customisation has been improved as well. And the story is looking good as well.

There is one thing I'm annoyed by, however.

Ashley Williams.

She's the "love interest" of the human variety in Mass Effect (1) if you're male Shepard. If she stays alive, you see her again in Mass Effect 2. In Mass Effect 3...it looks like she's had a complete makeover. Way too much lipstick, plus hair colouring, plus a girly suit. Ashley was not like that in either of the previous ones. And, for me at least, that's a bit of a disappointment. But then, I always find it annoying when characters are redesigned in-between versions of a game. But it just seems like they've...changed her. Which just feels wrong.

Apart from that, however, a muchly enjoyable game. Looking forward to the full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)