Find what you're looking for

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Learning On The Job + Faith.

Life lessons are called that for a reason. You learn them by living. Through experience - often bad, unfortunately. It seems that those who have had the hardest and most difficult lives can often teach you the most about life.

As such, it feels like a lot of the time I don't have a lot to say. I'm a middle-class white guy, who has always had a roof over his head and food to eat, at the very least. I got to go to school, and university. (And TAFE and Bible college.) I've been able to work, and earn money. I've had incredible friends and family. I have had hard times and things that I've struggled with - things like emotions, and not having money, and people, and my own spiritual journey.

But I haven't had to deal with death. I haven't had to deal with starving, or being homeless. I haven't had to worry about what I say, in fear of the police or the government. I haven't even had to worry too much about peer pressure to do things like alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, or get piercings or tattoos.

And in some ways, I'm really grateful. Because it means that I can focus on helping people that do. But it also means that it's tricky for me to help those people - because I've never gone through it myself! Which is an interesting conundrum.

But one thing I got to talk about recently, which I think I have had some experience in, is faith. And I looked at the example of Abram, or Abraham. Looking at his life, I came up with three main things.

God tested, and Abraham worshipped. 
God promised, and Abraham believed.

God called, and Abraham listened.

And I think that those are the real markers of faith. Worshipping when you're tested, not just when things go well; believing when God makes promises (and showing that through what you do); and listening when God calls you (not listening to others, or to your fear, or to the world).

Think that's it for now. 'Til next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)