Find what you're looking for

Wednesday 10 November 2021

Song Stories: Jesus Christ

This is the final song, and the final song story, from the Life To The Full EP that I've been working through over the past while. This one has a bit less depth to it, but that's okay. Lyrics are below.

I want to go where I am free
I want to go, will you take me?
I want to leave, just leave this place
I want to find, find my own space

And I have found, a way to live
Yes I have found a life to give
It teaches me a better way
Yeah, teaches me, each night and day

The one who gives me life?
Jesus Christ

And I have said, said many times
And I have read between the lines
Cause what you give is life to me
Yes what you give it sets me free

You're the one, oh yeah
And I know, this isn't fair
But still, you came for me
And died, upon that tree

You're the one who gives me life
Yes, you're the one who gives me life
You're the one who gives me life
Jesus Christ

This is another one that I through-composed, on the guitar. I was basically noodling around and found this chord progression that I enjoyed, then started just riffing on it with words while I played. This is the song that came out of it.

Lyrically - I feel like this song is coming back to some of the core of what I believe. Because there are a lot of bits that I've deconstructed and reconstructed over the last months and years, and plenty that's still just uncertain. But what I do know is the freedom and life that I've found within Jesus - and that's the same freedom and life I live now. "I want to go where I am free...I want to find, find my own space" 

I think it's this "better way" that I mention in there that some Christians can get hung up on, though. Because the way they see it is - we're living a better way than them. When it feels much more true to actually put it like - I'm living a better way than how I used to live. Because each person's life is different, and unique, and complex. You can't really compare them to another, to call one "better" or "worse". How are you measuring that? How are you quantifying that? But you can compare your experience now to your previous experience; though even that has many limits and ifs or buts. But I do feel like, through Jesus, I am living a better life. And that's something I'm always learning.

Do I think that's something that everyone needs? Well, here's the thing. You see, Jesus has already made my life better. But through me, I also believe he's made the lives of those around me better too. And you can say the same through history - to the point where I feel like all lives have already been made better through Jesus. If Jesus hadn't come, we would be living in a worse world, and not have the same depth and quality of life, of freedom, that we do today.

But that doesn't mean I need to be shouting on the street corners about who Jesus is, and telling people to "ask him into their hearts", and the like. Other people do that, and they feel like they're making a difference, and I'm happy for them. For now, I'm happy to just try and follow his ways in my life, and see that love spill over into the lives of people around me.

That's all of the song stories for the Life Is Full EP. I hope you've enjoyed those. I don't think I'm done with song stories, though - I'll still be coming back to them now and then. It's a useful format that I can always find some words for, and it keeps me writing, which is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)