Find what you're looking for

Monday 5 September 2011

W for What?

These days, there are a lot of opportunities to make it big. There's a million and one versions of the TV show, the contest, the lottery, whatever.

In these, people will (generally) take one of two stances:
1. I really think I can get this, I'm going to give all I've got into getting it!
2. I know I probably won't get it, but I'm going to try anyway.

Either of these two stances face a thorny issue if they ever manage to get there. (Of course, the other issue is if they never get there; but that's another matter entirely.) And that's this question: What now?

Because in this situation, people have either spent so much energy getting here, or just never thought they would, and so when they do, they don't know what to do. Either because they never expected to be here, or because their entire purpose up until now was defined in getting here; they never thought about afterwards.

I think that's happened to more people than it should've. People always think about just getting to X, never about what they do once they get there. (Unless they just travel continuously, but that's like the previous bracket.) Admittedly, I'm as guilty of this as the next person. I don't want to think about what happens when I finish this course. I'm enjoying just being in it right now, thank you very much.

Probably something I'm going to need to start to go over with God, if He doesn't make something pop up for me in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about the future a lot (I like the idea of progress), but yesterday I realise that we've essentially only got one year of our undergrad left. I was like "Arrrgh! It's all gonna change! What am I gonna do!?" Guess this ties in with your post on "X". Scared of the strange, the different. :P

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)