Find what you're looking for

Tuesday 4 October 2016

Writings from Beyond #1: Which Colour?

I was at Beyond Festival over the weekend, and was fortunate enough to have some time in a couple of workshops with Cameron Semmens. If you haven't heard of him, look him up! He's a great performance poet, and in each workshop he took us through a few different things to get some writing happening. The first one was around several key things to remember when writing, which he talked about a bit, but I'll just list here:

  • Be invitational, not confrontational
  • Ask good questions, rather than giving answers
  • RE-humanising, not DE-humanising
  • Raw + personal + honest, not preachy + idealised
  • Light touch, not sledgehammer
  • Metaphors, not commands
And then we did some writing, keeping in mind those ideas, but particularly looking at the idea of just using questions. You can read that one below. There's a few other bits of writing that I did in the workshops, and I'll be posting them all up in quick succession! This one I rather like, and I hope you enjoy it too :)

Which Colour
Why do people not like grey skies, when it makes everything more green? Or do people just not like green?
Why do people like one colour more than another? Is my colour better than yours? Are we going to have colour wars?
Would you fight with balloons of coloured powder, or super soakers that spray colour everywhere?
Do all colours fade - or do some get brighter? Which colour are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)