Find what you're looking for

Monday 20 September 2021

Song Stories: Screaming


Let's do another song story! If you didn't check out the previous one, you can find it here. This one is going to be about Screaming, the second song on my Life To The Full EP. Lyrics are below as a reference.

There's so much screaming in my head, all the time
Yet so little screaming comes out of this mouth, life just strolls by
So many things I see in this world that make me bleed
One day I'll count up all the drops, and make you see

That this world is a scary place for all of us
And this world has so much to give, but it's not enough
For we are the monsters in this fairytale
Yes we are the reason that I'm screaming here

You might think you're the exception to the rule
But everyone is a monster, and you're the fool
Yes all of us have made someone bleed, don't you know
Maybe you've made yourself forget that it's so

Today is the start of something new
Today we start to disappear
Cause this world we're in it's screaming
Yeah, this world we're in, it's screaming, it's screaming

Let's get into it! Like the previous song, this one is a little out of my usual style; probably not as much, but a little. It's heavier rock than what I'd usually do, musically. But it's fairly fun to play, and pretty simple (as was the previous one). I also came up with a music video idea for this one, actually! I think this one was a claymation idea that I had, with monsters. As you do. Probably easier to do than the previous one, but still well beyond my own skills.

I wrote this one on the train on the way to work one day, later last year I'm fairly sure. I hadn't written anything in a fair while, and I wanted to just get something down. So I started writing - and this is what came out. And I was really happy with it, so it stayed pretty much as is.

Lyrically, there are two different ideas that I'm kinda attempting to weave in together here; it sorta works, sorta doesn't. The first, which most of the song spends time on, is what we're doing to this world - how "this world has so much to give", there are so many natural resources and things in abundance here, "but it's not enough"; we're too greedy, we take too much, and it throws the world askew. We're starting to see the effects of that, through climate change - crazy weather, natural disasters happening more and worse, sea levels rising, all of the things. "Cause this world we're in, it's screaming." Our world can't take our cruelty, and the amount that we're hurting it.

But we're not content to only be hurting the world; we also hurt each other. "All of us have made someone bleed." We are cruel, and selfish, and cold, uncaring people, so much of the time. We don't think about how our actions hurt the people around us. But we like to forget this; particularly when it comes to ourselves. "You might think you're the exception to the rule." We like to think that we're exempt. We're nice! We're good! We're gentle, and kind, and good! I can guarantee you - no matter how kind, and good, and amazing a person you are; there is always going to be someone that you hurt, in life. Probably many people. Because we make mistakes. But all too often, we don't learn from those mistakes; we make the same ones, again and again, and we keep hurting people. We keep doing harm. We keep making people bleed.

"For we are the monsters in this fairytale." We're the monsters here. That's why I'm screaming. Because I'm a monster. And you're a monster. We hurt this world, and we hurt each other - and we keep doing that, and we keep saying that it's fine. Or we're not actually hurting anyone, or anything, and this is all okay. But it's not. Each day, there is so much suffering in this world, so much screaming, that is because of us monsters. But we just act like everything is normal and fine and dandy, and we don't do anything about it. "Yet so little screaming comes out of this mouth; life just strolls by." We need to make noise. We need to start screaming. People need to realise that they're hurting people through what they do, hurting the world through what they do.

The bridge - I don't quite understand it, honestly! I'm not sure what it's saying. I think it's talking about if we just disappeared, then maybe the screaming would go away; maybe, the hurt would go away. But I don't really know. It's a bit cryptic. And I wrote it! My brain is strange.

But anyway - that's the song story for Screaming. We're two songs in to this EP - that's one third of the way done! Tune in next time to hear about what more there is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)