Find what you're looking for

Saturday 30 October 2021

Song Stories: Anything More

Over the last while, I've been posting some song stories - initially, from an EP that I've finished writing relatively recently, called Life To The Full EP. This is the penultimate song on the album, entitled Anything More. As usual, lyrics are below for reference.

My pen hovers over the page
Hesitating, hesitating
When will something come into my brain
I'm waiting, and waiting

There's so much I've already said, but am I done already?

Each note I sing I have already sung
For each word I could write, there's a matching one
Every chord I play I have played before
But does that mean that I cannot write anything more?

Thoughts start to move in my mind
They're stirring, and stirring
Maybe soon something new I will find
I'm searching, searching

There are still so many things I have left to say
Perhaps I will need to find another way
But hopefully, here today, this will be enough

This is another one that I wrote on the train to work (or from work, I don't know). The lyrics starting with what I was literally doing, struggling to find words to write. The chords were pretty simple, think I did the music for this one on guitar.

This song is really speaking to an on-and-off struggle that I've had with music, and I think just creativity in general, for a while. I've been slowing down in what I'm writing, and creating. Not doing as much as I used to. I used to be writing so much, all the time, they were just pouring out. Felt like I had a new song every week or two (sometimes every day or two). These days - not so much. It's not so often that I'm writing new songs, or new poems, or new creative material.

And so part of me naturally wonders - well, am I on the decline, then? Have I already had my creative peak, and I've missed the opportunity to utilise it? Am I done already?

But every now and then, when I do put something new out there, or I show my music to someone who hasn't seen it yet - so often, I will get responses of, "this is amazing!" "this is awesome!" "this is so creative!" "you sing and play SO well!" Like, people being really genuinely complimentary and praising the work that I've done, and the talent that I have. Which feels pretty amazing. Because I know I have talent. Like, I've known that for ages - I'm good at singing, good at music, good at songwriting. Not too bad on the piano either, and I'm getting there on the guitar. But getting other people to see what you see can be.....hard. So it's really nice when other people do see that.

I think I do still have plenty left to write, and plenty left to create. But I think I'm just needing to do it more intentionally now, it's not so automatic. I think I've also branched out a bit with my mediums, so that gives me more options to be creative with as well, which is good. Exploring new platforms has been fruitful too. Tiktok is pretty great! Getting some nice engagement on there with some of what I put up. (Not-so-subtle cue to go follow me there if you aren't already!) But yeah. I feel like I want to put more energy and time into this, because I have a lot that I want to give. But it's hard to know what that might look like, or how to do that. I'm not the type to be able to focus on just one thing well. Perhaps I need someone - or a couple of people - to collaborate with to help motivate me.

But yeah, that's what this song is talking about. Hope you found that interesting. The next song story will be the last from this EP, and it's Christ himself showing up this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)