Find what you're looking for

Thursday 9 August 2012

Ignoring.

That's probably the wrong word to use, because it's more of a subconscious thing. But anyway, that's the word I'll use for now.

I find that I often seem to get a bit...sidelined. I'm usually the odd one out, the one at the edge of the group, the guy that doesn't really have many conversations with people.

And part of that's me, for sure. I mean, the first step if you want people to interact with you is interacting with them yourself.
I've got over 500 friends on Facebook, and I don't talk to any of them on it, really. I don't really chat to people on Facebook at all. And the funny thing is - I can be a lot more talkative in the cyber world than in the real world! But there's pretty much only one person I have regular conversations with online. We moved off FB to Google Chat a while ago. We find it more preferable.

But yes. The first step of getting people to interact with you is to interact with them...here's the trick. I am....hopeless when it comes to that. If I can manage to get past hello, I'm doing well. If I even get up to hello, I'm doing well. Particularly if you're by yourself, even more so if you're female and near my age. If I go any further than asking you how you're doing etc, then it's astounding.

And the thing is, I don't find any of that conversation interesting. Who. What. When. Where. *yawn* A computer can tell me that. I can just look it up on Facebook or whatever, and I can find out what you did this week. Too easy.
How is a bit better. It takes a couple of sentences.
But why is the best. The why is what I love to think about, throw back and forth, mull over for a while, savour, chew, digest, discuss - I'm quite fond of the why.

And the thing is, that's the problem. Because even when people do try and get me involved, where do they go....who. What. When. Whe..zzzz....zzzz....
Not quite, but it is part of the reason I don't get too actively involved in the conversation. And trust me, when you get me on to a good topic, I can be quite vocal. I mean, I've done public speaking - no, actually, I shouldn't say that. That's speaking at or to people, not with them. Anyway.

So yeah. I don't know exactly how to get out of this particular quandary. Maybe I should just say hi to a few people on Facebook more often. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)