Find what you're looking for

Thursday 1 March 2012

Mine, mine, mine-craft!

The phenomenon that is Minecraft has permeated into the gaming world over the past year or so, and if you're a gamer that hasn't heard about it....that's slightly weird. It's part sandbox, part building, part survival game - it's really up to the player to choose whic they prefer. Except, more recently, it's drifted into the world of RPG. Welcome to the game that is Minecraft 1.0. (Which should actually be 2.0, but never mind.)

Basically, in Minecraft, you, the player, are in an infinite world. A world fairly similar to our own, with trees, and beaches, and pigs, and chickens, and water, and lava, and minerals, and DIAMONDS!!!! Oh, and there were creepers as well, which were strange green things that blew up if they got too close. And slimes, which were green too, but didn't blow up. And at night zombies and skeletons and giant spiders came out. So, yes, the game had a few monsters. And that was fine, that was cool. So you could go out and explore the world, or try and build something amazing, or just bunker down in your hdey hole and hope that the creepers didn't find you.

Then they added villages, and villagers, which were cool. And wolves, and ravines, which were good too. Oh, and I forgot to mention - there was also the Nether, which was basically Hell. Just casually. No devil, but there were ghasts and zombie pigmen. And then they added magma cubes and firey things. Then they put in Endermen, which teleported, and scared the wits out of people. No, they seriously are creepy. If you haven't seen them, look it up on Youtube.

And that was OK. But then they started adding other stuff. Enchantments. Potions. Levelling. A massive boss dragon in another realm called The End (where the Endermen actually came from, and mobbed you en masse), and a sort of game ending. And suddenly, it became like an RPG. And it...wasn't the same, for me. You could still do just building stuff, if you wanted. You could avoid the RPG stuff completely. But it just seemed...like it had gone in a direction that I didn't think was in how I'd judged the spirit of the game to be.

I still have a lot of fun with Minecraft, though I do avoid the RPG part. And redstone, because I can't be bothered figuring it out. But it is pretty cool making massive structures and stuff there, though I get blown up so much it's not even a thing. I am seriously expert at dying on Minecraft, no joke. I've lost so many sets of iron armour...

But yeah. I don't think it's quite what it could be - maybe it could become that one day, I don't know. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)