Find what you're looking for

Monday 23 January 2012

Interview #1: Mozart Palmer

I did plan to do someone next obvious. Hopefully, that'll be the next one. Anyway. This is the result of an interview between me and Mozart. Well, me sending him questions. Think it turned out pretty well.


"For those who don't know you (doubtful, but mandatory), who are you/what do you do?"
Well, my name is Mozart, I'm twenty years old, and I'm a musician from a small town outside Western Sydney. I'm also a writer and a third year Bachelor of Music student. In my ample spare time I write press releases for Pirate Party Australia, a (hopefully) soon-to-be-registered political party. I'm also a hopeless romantic and seem to be chronically unemployable.

"So is music something you've been interested in a long time - and if so, has your interest changed over that time?"
I guess you could say that. I'm not a "dad made me learn piano when I was three" musician, but I decided I wanted to learn a bit of flute at eight years old. That turned to guitar, guitar to bass, then songwriting and composing. So my interest has changed certainly. I prefer writing music instead of actually playing it like I used to. I'm looking at getting into teaching too, but I've been focusing a lot on the music industry and what value music actually holds in the world lately. So, yes, over the last twelve or so years my interests in music have diversified into its' many aspects.

"So you've evidently chosen to do music at uni. Was that always a goal, or a more recent choice?"
Depends on what you mean by "recent" really. Halfway through eleventh grade I got bored of school. I planned to be a history teacher right up until then, and I suppose I just burned out. The only thing that I really stayed interested in was music, because it was something I had talent in, but was too busy focusing on everything else to really explore. In twelfth grade I made up my mind that I'd aim to do a Bachelor of Music instead of Arts at uni.

"You mentioned that you were involved with PPAU. Why/how did you start getting involved there?"
A friend told me about The Pirate Bay and BitTorrent technology. I was fascinated with it. At some point the documentary "Steal This Film" came onto my RADAR. I'd always thought piracy was a bad thing. But something that everyone did from time to time. The film switched me onto the idea of "piracy" actually not being as bad as it was made out to be. I read a few interviews and articles and came to the conclusion that copyright should be reformed. In "Steal This Film" there are a few snippets with Rick Falkvinge, who founded the Piratpartiet (Swedish Pirate Party) in 2006. I finally got the nerve to join PPAU and start being active in September of 2011, and my contributions were valued enough for me to become fairly acknowledged within the party.

"Apparently, you've also been in charge of doing a fair number of press releases for PPAU. What's that been like, representing a political party to the media and the public?"
It's been a good experience. I've learned to work with deadlines and to get inside the minds of people. Sometimes people aren't available for quotes, so you have to write one for them. You have to think about how they would say things, what words and phrasings they would use. It's also difficult trying to balance what you want to say, with what is appropriate to say. You can't be too aggressive, but at the same time you can't be too toned down. Getting the balance right can be heard. I've done a phone interview once, which was interesting. You just gotta make sure that everything you do and say won't be misquoted or manipulated.

"Final question: wth - why the hair?"
I just never thought I looked good with short hair. Not unless I lose weight. And I'm too lazy to even go for a trim. No kidding. Plus, it's been way too long. I've forgotten the last time I had a cut, but I think it would be at least three years.


Thanks/kudos go to Mozart for doing that with barely any notice. Should have a review for you guys on Thursday. Already got one possible idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)