Find what you're looking for

Tuesday 3 January 2012

On changing your world.

Well, we've looked at three different ways people measure their life's worth, how people decide to change their worlds. Now, I'd like to take a moment to put in my thoughts on it. Calling this the "Empathetic" view.

There's a bit of a story - I have no idea whether it's true or not, but it would be fantastic if it was - about a person who decided to change the world. And so he helped three people - changed their lives. And then he asked each of them to, in return, help three other people, change three other people's lives. And then for each of them to do the same, etc, etc. And, of course, it becomes an exponentially increasing number.

Personally, I have a similar idea. It's not quite as goal-oriented - but for myself, I would measure how much I am worth by how much I have changed other people, and for the better. Of course, as such, it's possible that at times you won't know, because some people don't really talk about these things unless you ask. And then, of course, people find it awkward asking people what they think about them, etc etc, you get the picture.

Sorry. 3rd person/1st person moment there.

And, of course, this view has it's down side. If you think that you've changed someone else's life in a bad way - well, you feel like absolute shit, to put it bluntly.

If that is the case for you....my only suggestion is this: as always, people make mistakes. Sometimes, they can be pretty massive. But we're also able to forgive, forget, or clean up our mess. Don't just run away from it. That doesn't really solve anything. And we tend to be very good at keeping guilty feelings hanging around.

But yeah. That's my little idea, and the conclusion of this series. Unless either Mozart or Jessie want to do their first guest post here on the same topic, which would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)