Find what you're looking for

Sunday 1 January 2012

Living in the moment.

This second response is looking at the answer of, "You don't." in answer to how you measure a life's worth. Now, that could mean a few different things, but for now, I'll choose to say that it means that rather than worrying about how well you've done or haven't, you just live as you do. That may or may not be what was originally intended, I don't know. Knowing the guy who said it...I think it would be something along those lines. I think. But anyway. I'm calling this the "Epicurean" view, based on the Ancient Greek philosophy of the same name.

Living in the moment is not a particularly new idea - well, obviously, since it's also an Ancient Greek philosophy - but it has seen a bit of a recurrence of late, with lots of self-help peoples and the like advocating this way of living. Not worrying so much about the mistakes or achievements that may have happened before, or what might happen tomorrow, but more about what's happening here and now.

And it's certainly a solid way to live. It's a bit hard to fault - apart from other people perhaps being annoyed by trying to grab hold of these people and pin them down a bit. So you do usually get people planning a little, even when they are living in the moment and such. Cause planning tends to help with some stuffs. And many other people aren't quite as willing to move on from the past, so that can create a bit of tension sometimes.

But I think that not being weighed down by all your past mistakes is definitely a good thing; as is not dreading the coming day. So, honestly, I don't really have much of a problem with this view. I don't think there's anything bad about it, really. As long as you don't get dogmatic about it, but that's the same with anything.

But, of course, yes. I do think it's missing something. However, if you're not a religious/Christian/some-sort-of-God-believing individual, I'd probably say this is good. Though if you can add on the one I'm going to mention after these three, extra kudos to you.

Next up, as you might have guessed, the Evangelical view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)