Find what you're looking for

Monday 9 January 2012

tl;dr

I seem to be seeing this phrase a few times here and there. If you're not familiar with it, it means "too long; didn't read." I think this may be a recurring problem that seems to be cropping up a bit here and there. And - perhaps evidently - the problem is two-fold. The "too long" and the "didn't read". The latter is fairly simple, it's just a bit of laziness, tiredness, etc. The former, however, I'd like to talk about briefly.

I mentioned a few posts ago going into rather elaborate obfuscation. A lot of people seem to like doing it now and then. And many like going on for quite a while.....and then adding a bit.....and then quoting random person.....insert slightly related witty anecdote....relate from left field back to main point, and we're at three pages or whatever.

Whatever happened to a little thing called simplification? Well, the word isn't that little, but you get what I mean. KISS seems to be quite lost now and then. And I think that's a bit of a pity. Because people can have important points, good things to say. That can be lost, because people see a wall of text.

Ironically, of course, this post in itself isn't my shortest. And of course, if your audience/person you're writing to is fine with reading long things (you get them now and then, but we're a rare breed), then go ahead.

But yeah. Seeing a bit less of tl;dr would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)