Find what you're looking for

Sunday 2 October 2011

Ocean Eyes

You've probably heard the song Fireflies. Well, this is the album that made it a hit.

Owl City is a bit hard to categorise. iTunes calls it electronica, Wiki expands on that and plonks in pop, indie, new-wave and alternative as well. I'd say that's probably about right. Not too good with categories and such, so I let other people do it for me. :P

One interesting thing you may notice by Owl City (which may seem evident by the title, but anyway) is it uses a lot of animal metaphors, and indeed just metaphors in general. If you're familiar with their late single, Alligator Sky, which has been seeing a bit of radio time, you'll know what I mean.

It starts off with Cave In, a decent starting track. It then goes on to The Bird and the Worm, which I reckon is probably the best one on the album after Fireflies. It also includes the Nemo joke. (If you don't know what I mean, here is the vid.) It then goes on to Hello Seattle, a pretty good one as well. It then does a couple more, then over to Dental Care. Finally, a song about dentists :D The next one is Meteor Shower, a fairly short one that I'd say goes back to Adam Young (who is Owl City, more or less)'s Christian faith. (Though that's just my guess.) It goes on over to Fireflies, which you've already heard enough about, most probably. It goes on for a couple more good ones, then a remix of Hello Seattle (which is actually pretty decent, for a remix), and finishes off with If My Heart Was a House, a bit of a nice, bit quieter end to the album, with the fade out at the end.

It's a good album, first off. It's pretty quirky, and a bit different. Owl City very much has it's own unique sound, which is very recognisable. (Thinking about perhaps taking a leaf or two from their book in making my own music a bit more unique.) And there really aren't any songs in it that you'd go, oh, I didn't really like that song. They're all decent songs. If you're thinking you don't have enough for the album - then I'd suggest The Bird and the Worm and Hello Seattle. (I'm guessing that you'd have Fireflies already.) Other than that, listen to the samples and make your own call, but I'd say you'd definitely want a few from Owl City in your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)