Find what you're looking for

Friday 28 October 2011

Let's Start A Band!

I got a surprised/confused comment from Mozart on my most recent song up, so thought I'd better put up a bit of an explanation.

About a year and a half ago, at one of my friend's birthday parties, they mentioned that they were starting a band up with two of my other friends. (The Bradbury guys I mentioned.) He was doing drums, one was doing guitar, the other bass. I asked them who was going to do vocals, they said the guitar guy was. He's not bad at singing, but I don't know if he's quite a lead singer. (Don't know if I am either, but hey.) So I said I'd sing for them. They said cool. Then I asked them what sort of band it was, and they said it was a bit punky.

And I thought, OK... just in case you weren't aware, punk isn't my typical genre. At that time, I had barely heard any. Green Day was about the extent of it. As such, they asked me to listen to Billy Talent, Rise Against, and a bit more Green Day, to get an idea of the kind of sound they were going for/influenced by. Rise Against was decent, Green Day was alright, Billy Talent not so much.

However, because of this, I started experimenting a bit with writing songs that were a bit more in this style. They weren't really me, more based on some sort of cliched persona. I ran them past the guys - apparently I exaggerated the cliche a bit much. :P Oh well. But I've kept doing a song every now and then it that sort of style, and a few of those will/have cropped up in this A to Z. Just to let you know.

As an aside, the band went/has gone absolutely nowhere. We've had one or two jam sessions, our only attempt at recording was a bit of a flop (their attempt at harmonies was....*shudders*), and we've never had a gig, or tried to get one, as far as I know. And I don't think we have a name, even. But there you go :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)