Find what you're looking for

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Clumsy.

I believe I've mentioned before that I'm not a fantastic pianist/keyboardist. That's mainly due to me getting fairly clumsy once I start to go faster. When I go slowly, I usually don't have any problems. But this world doesn't like slow. It likes something done, and done five minutes ago.

And the thing is, I'm clumsy with pretty much anything done fast. Which isn't usually a problem, I just go a bit slower. But when it gets to doing a job....yeah. Particularly with this job I'm attempting to get, which is in a kitchen, where they need things done fast. I'm not doing too well at that. Basically, today I had a 5 hour shift when I should have been finished in three and a half. Not the best.

Hopefully, it's something I can work on a bit. I'm hoping that I'll go a bit better on the night shifts, because then there's another kitchen hand there to keep you accountable, sort of thing. Keep you on top of things. That's the idea, at least. We'll see how it goes...

It's a bit annoying, though. Because these "normal" types of jobs, that have more to do with getting things done quickly and repetitively, I'm not so good at, but I get paid for. The kind of jobs that are a bit more self-regulated/creative, I'm good at, but I wouldn't want to get paid for.

:P

3 comments:

  1. I'm a terrible piano player, even though I've been playing for three years. But I do it solely for the fun of being able to play a song I really love.
    "The kind of jobs that are a bit more self-regulated/creative, I'm good at, but I wouldn't want to get paid for." what do you mean by that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Brendan, I remember my first time kitchen handing alone. I was back way later than accountable, but it was a full house of more than 100 people the busiest the place had been in half a year. Before I left I was finishing on time or earlier most times and was doing some extra work. Once you get some practice you'll be fine, at both this and Piano. Just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @cricketfreak, yeah pianos coil like that :) as for what I mean by that comment - if, for example, I was playing what I had written, or I was writing a book, or even drawing something - I don't want to sell it to people. I want to share it with people :)
    @future20s, yay, you've made it over to my blog! Good to see you over here. Ah, 100 people... Luxury, luxury. The place I work at can get 150 or more on a weeknight :P but the bad thing about that day was that it was really quiet. So I had no motivation at all... Tonight, though, I think I've managed a fair bit better, so I think I'll be OK :) as for piano - I can often play a piece within the first couple of times; but I'll just always be clumsy, no matter how many times I've played it. And it becomes especially prominent if I happen to be using a keyboard with no weighted keys...

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)