Find what you're looking for

Friday 23 December 2011

Choral Carol Coral....Carl?

That was just me being silly with the words. Anyway.

Carols seem to be a very persistent - and repetitive - part of Christmas. Even if you don't watch the ones in the Domain, there will probably be ones at church if you go there, or playing in the shops, or sung in the streets.

Often, these carols have been sung a fair few times. Just once or twice, y'know. It's cool. And you tend to have a million and one remakes of them, that may be more or less worthy of the term "remake", as the case may be. Most of them fairly meh-worthy, ala TWBMJs recent review of Michael Buble's Christmas.

But what's the point of the carols? Most of them seem to be very repetitive musically, and often telling a story of some description. (Though that can be a trend with music in general, it's even more so in this case.) And many people that I know (mostly of my generation) don't have much of a fondness for the carolling.

So why do we still do them, if they're repetitive, and starting to be not-so-loved by this newer generation emerging, more apathetic to the old customs? Must new carols be made, or will carolling just fade away?

Personally, I think both will occur in part. But I think that we'll still be hearing Away In A Manger and I Saw My Mum Kissing Santa Claus right next to each other in a hundred years' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)