Find what you're looking for

Monday 19 December 2011

Honesty + Hope(lessness)

I did my green Ps driving test today. It's a Hazard Perception Test - a sort of touchscreen computer thingy that you have to react to at the right times and such.
I didn't pass. But there was really only one that I got wrong. Others I could've done better, but I think would've been alright if I hadn't done this one. It was on turning right, so you just had to tap it when you would turn. At the lights, rainy afternoon. Completely overcast, wipers on full. A truck wanting to turn right from the other direction is partially blocking the view of oncoming traffic, but you can sort of see it before it disappears behind the truck.

I saw one car coming up, so I waited for that one and then touched the screen. A second afterwards, a motorbike whizzed on through. Now, the test does this recognition thing. It asks you whether you touched the screen or not. So I could've just said that I didn't touch the screen. But if I had been caught, I would've been fined and had to wait for a while before I can retake the test. I was honest. Not so much because of that - I more thought of that afterwards - but just because I wanted to be honest. I'm trying to be more so. It's hard. But good.

On another note, completely unrelated apart from the fact that it also happened today. Was looking at a piece - specifically, Prelude No. 6 in B minor by Chopin - with my piano teacher. And we were trying to figure out the emotion of it, as such. And we quickly realised that it was a very frightening piece, in a sense. Extreme melancholia. Because every time you had this little major figure - it was snuffed out. Quick. A quite slow, soft piece. But very mournful. And by the end, it's basically mocking. It's almost comical - in a black humour kind of way - with how much it is dreary and without hope.

Boy, am I glad it's not like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)