Find what you're looking for

Saturday 31 December 2011

Life and money.

Thought I'd get a start on this mini-series on measuring a life. This first one is looking at this response: "Buy the money iv earnt in the last 11 years". No, I'm not planning to rage quit because of his English. :P I'm calling this the "Economic" view. Yes, they're all going to begin with E. :P

As many have said, money makes the world go round. You grow up, learning the skills you need to get a job, you get a job, you pay the bills, kaput. That's it, not anything more. Well, not quite, but that's the general idea.

In the economic view, more money is good. Not because money in itself is a good thing; I mean, sure, if you can show off a packet of $500 bills that would impress a few people, but that's not so much the point of money. More money is good because it buys more. More food, more car, more TV, more beer, more clothes, more shoes, ,more holiday, more house, and - if you're really rolling in it - maybe more boat, or more plane. More, more, more.

Now, more in itself isn't a bad thing. You may think that a bit surprising, coming from a Christian. I mean, aren't we supposed to be cutting back or something? "I have come that you may have life and have it to the full." Those were the words of Jesus. Not kinda or sorta have it. But really have it. And often the Bible talks about God wanting to really bless us with so much - "our cup runneth over" sort of thing.

The problem is more when the "more" is all that you want, rather than the God that gives you "more", or the situations in which "more" is abundant. That's where the "Economic" view falls down, in my opinion.

Next up, the Epicurean view. It might be Greek to you, but that's because...well...it's Greek. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)