Find what you're looking for

Sunday 25 December 2011

My kind of Christmas.

Christmas. A time for snow, or a time for sun, depending on which side of the world you're in. The classic "white" Christmas, or the Aussie summer Christmas. Just wanted to have a bit of a look at two other sorts of Christmas, in a more symbolic kind of sense.

On the one hand, we have consumerism rampant. Oh, so much consumerism. Christmas blasted at you everywhere, shops, streets, TV, radio, cars, friends....the list continues. The "perfect" Christmas is showcased regularly, ala Away In A Manger. 10 points if you can tell me what's not quite right with it. And churches struggle madly against it all, attempting to get Jesus to win over Santa.

On the other hand, we have a time of fellowship, of unity, of coming together. Sharing with each other, friends and family, and just having a good time. Promoting kindness, joy, and peace.

And the latter one isn't restricted to Christians. Heck no. That'd just spoil it. Everyone should be free to have a good time on Christmas - to just relax a bit, not worry so much about the cares of the world.

As such, I'm going to take a leaf out of a friend's book and do a song for today. It's called "White Wine In The Sun", by Tim Minchin, and I think, personally, that it represents the latter situation I've described. Just look it up on Youtube or something. Tis good.

Anyway.

Merry Christmas. :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't take too many leaves, or I'll have no tree left. =P

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)