Find what you're looking for

Monday 15 August 2011

B for Botched.

I tend to notice my mistakes and shortcomings a fair bit. Not that I'm depressive about them or anything; I suppose I just often keep them a bit out of plain view most of the time, so I'm more alert to them than other people. And I can tell you right now, for all the people that think I'm some kind of perfect Christian guy, I'm not. Trust me. I've just had a lot of practice at acting. Trying to change that.

(I've now come back to this after a few hours and completely forgotten the original direction I was going to take it, but I know it wasn't this one. Oh well.) (Hang on - remembered. Yay!) Christians can generally take two very different tacks on mistakes. (Well, they're more two extremes on a continuum.) One - God can fix whatever mistake I make, I can't do anything to help myself. I can't fix it, I just need to let Him fix it. Just sit here and wait for Him to fix it. Two - I've gotten myself into this mess, so I need to actually do something to get myself out of it. If God lends a hand that'd be great, but I've got to put in the hard yards here.

I don't think that either of these two attitudes are the way people should go about it. They've both got something going for them, though,  and I think we should combine the best of both. Yes, we can't fix it ourselves, and we need to ask God's help to fix it, otherwise we're in deep deep doodoo. But that doesn't mean we sit on our backsides either - a lot of the time, God will work through us, and we need to do something too. (The classic story of the man on the roof with the waters rising comes to mind.) If you don't know exactly what that entails, just ask Him. He may not reply in a booming voice down from the sky above, but He'll let you know somehow. We just don't always get the message - but that's a whole different topic.

Tomorrow I think will be C for Cooking (I know, a bit left field, but there you go), unless someone suggests something else to me that I like.

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to remember the film it's from, but the line goes something like "Does God give you solutions, or does he give you opportunities?" I think that applies here. Does God fix the mistake for you, or does he give you the opportunity and the help to fix it? Anyway, I totally agree. You can't passively expect God to fix everything, because he needs you to work with him. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that would be Evan Almighty, from memory. "Does God zap you with warm, fuzzy feelings, or give you opportunities to love each other?" Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that sounds about right :-) You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)