Find what you're looking for

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Q for Questions.

Following the influx of people to my blog (I know, only two, but for me, that's an influx) plus because there's not too much starting with Q that I wanted to do, I thought I'd answer a few questions people had. I attempted putting it to good old Facebook, and - well, they weren't serious in the slightest. Which is sometimes good, but they were also decidedly weird. Which is also sometimes good, but not in this situation :P
As such, I've gone for Plan B and gotten Mozart to rustle up a few questions at late notice. That is, a couple of hours. He got back to me within half an hour or something though, so all good. :) Hope this is somewhat informative/interesting.


1. What is your favourite piece of music?
Difficult, difficult...coming back to this one last :P But honestly, I've been thinking and thinking, and I can't go past this piece I composed recently called Jubilation (originally written for piano/violin, but I'm re-writing it for piano/voice because the only violin player in my course [who actually plays viola :P] was already playing for 4 other people). It probably wouldn't sound that much to anyone else who heard it - though it doesn't sound half-bad either (otherwise I wouldn't use it for uni :P) - but it's related a lot to the composition of the piece, more than it is to the performance, if that makes any sense.

2. What is your favourite passage from the Bible, and why?



Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." To me, that's pretty special; because there are things I'll never be able to figure out by myself, and it's great to know that God does always know that, and is willing to share that with me.

3. What is something that you would like to do before you die?
Just one? Well...I think to be able to hear some of my music played live, with full instrumentation, as they were meant to be played/heard. I mean, there's all those things like Mt Everest, the Grand Canyon... but as a musician, this is something I really want to be able to do before I head up to God.

4. Do you have a favourite television program?

A few. The way I'll know if it's a favourite or not is whether or not I'd be willing to buy the whole series. There's not many of them, and it pretty much rules out most CSI-type ones (which are a hefty chunk of the TV I watch), because there's not a whole lot of storyline in them, so there's not much point in buying the series over just watching the new episodes. Difficult to say which is my most favourite; but perhaps Heroes. I started watching it when it started, and was pretty disappointed when it finished up. Maybe I just like a superhero story, who knows :P
Find that question interesting coming from the guy who doesn't watch much TV, though :P

5. How old were you when you first start getting into making music?
I really started writing songs when I was in year 11, so when I was about 15. I'd written stuff before, because I had to when I did Music at school, but it wasn't quite the same.

6. What is something you really dislike?
Olives.

7. What is something you really do like?
My bed.

8. What do you think of "celebrities"?
I think that as they are, I'd certainly never want to be one. But what the word sounds like it comes from - celebrate - would be a lot better, I think. So a "celebrity" would be someone worth celebrating. I think that would be a lot better, myself, than all this "fame and fortune" stuff.

9. If you could hang with any person (still living) for a day, who would it be?

Tim Minchin. Firstly, just because he's cool. Secondly, because I've recognised (and been told a few times) a few parallels between my music and his. And thirdly, just to try and understand him better. Because if you know much of Tim Minchin's songs at all, you'll know that he's quite a bit pro-science/atheism and - I think I could say - anti-religion. And so I think it would be intersting to try and figure out a bit of where he's coming from, so that I could perhaps be able to explain what I believe a bit better.

There we go. If anyone has any more questions, feel free to post them below. And suggest an R for tomorrow. Haven't had any suggestions for any of my letters yet, so that would be cool :) And for those new to the blog, checking out the tabs at the top "About the Blog" and "About Me" should give you more of an idea of what to expect in future.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I watch a lot of the "TV on DVD" thing. So I'm very selective. I more or less know what I want to watch, so my collection of television programs includes a lot of British comedy. I have to agree with you on olives and bed, I dislike/like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both my bed and olives :P Like sometimes I wake up at 8 and just lie in bed until 10 because I'm too lazy to wake up and my bed is so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)