Find what you're looking for

Saturday 13 August 2011

A thorny problem.

Today I'm not so muc tackling a misconception non-Christians have; I'm more taking a look at one particular issue that some - possibly a lot - of Christians find it hard to know exactly what to do.

Dating a non-Christian. I would guess that the majority of Christians would say "Don't do it", it's in the Bible ("Don't let yourself be yoked with unbelievers" is I believe the verse to be quoted), and even if by some miracle they don't drag you down in your faith, they probably won't build you up.

But then they fall in love, and their opinion dramatically changes, a lot of the time. "No, this person's different. They'll change, I know it! They're even saying they're going to come to church with me and everything!" *Sigh* The problem is, how on earth can you argue against someone who's in love? It is very difficult. (Well, to get anywhere with them, that is.)

The other thing is, sometimes it does work out. And people who are in love will most kindly point that out for you, and say that God's going to do the same thing here. Thing is, I also know some other people who have dated non-Christians, broke it off because they believed it was wrong, and said that it was the best thing they could have done.

So far, you may have noticed that I haven't really given my opinion on the issue. Cause it is a damn tough one to call. My gut says that it's between you and God, if you're in this sort of situation. Problem is, a lot of the time, when you're in this situation you can often turn a deaf ear to God, and prefer to listen to the voice in your own head. I guess that's where God starts using other people.

But you want my final opinion on whether it's right or wrong? Sorry, that's not my call to make, that's the big man's. But this would be my word of advice: if you can (which most of the time you can't, but anyway) make it a bit easier on yourself and think about it, if you're going to enter into this sort of relationship. Probably better, stick to Christians. Don't know if that's strictly right or wrong, but it may save you a bit of heartbreak or trouble later on.

In the absence of suggestions, for my letters, I'm going to start tomorrow with 'A' for 'Anger'.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm…Having dated a non-Christian, I can say that it is very hard. Faith is so important to you, and it's like with anything: your partner should encourage you with your interests. Even if they didn't openly criticise, it's still difficult because you'd like to share something like this with them. But God can work through anyone, so if it is love, then perhaps God has reason for it.

    By the same token though, Christians are just as capable of breaking each other's hearts, and that can be really hard too. I don't think you can really win :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah. I haven't had that experience myself, which I guess is a mixed blessing. I haven't had to make that call, but I haven't felt that feeling either. I think God has a reason for everything; heck, we live and we learn, right? Whether we win or we lose, always something to learn.

    Quite so. No, we can't win; God and love can. We just have to stop putting ourselves in the way all the time :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quote Mozart: "Life is full of irony, confusion, mistakes and coincidences. You better get used to it." (not the 100 year old musician, the younger one :P)
    -- Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, yes, I'm familiar with that one. Believe it or not, I actually check his blog a couple of times a day. :P How'd you find this blog, Arlene?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha. Wow! I am getting famous!

    ReplyDelete

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)