Find what you're looking for

Tuesday 23 August 2011

J for Joy.

More recently, I've actually had a bit more of a spin towards optimism. Which is good, I think. I used to be - well, pretty much whatever. Now I guess I'm more optimistic in general. Perhaps realistic/pessimistic in some places, but always hopeful. I'm good at that.

Many people find it very hard to be joyous. Sometimes that's because of the world we're in, all the pain and the suffering in it. Sometimes it's because of the specific situation that person it is, they've just been having a bad time. Sometimes it's because they're naturally depressed - that's just their usual state.

If it's the first, then yes, there's a heck of a lot of pain and suffering. But there's also a lot of good, and I think it's worth fighting for, and putting on a brave face for. Being happy, being joyous, because there are actually things out there to be joyous about.

For those struggling with the second, people often say that life's like a rollercoaster, it will always come back up again. Sometimes, though, you're in such a bad place that that mentality doesn't really help you a heck of a lot. If you're in a really really bad situation, I think that memory can sometimes be more powerful than hope. Remembering an amazing, happy time rather than only hoping for one. You hope for one as well; but until then, you can feed off this great memory you have.

If you've got the third, I'm not going to pretend that I know how you feel. I don't. I've heard it described, but that's never the same as going through it. But I do know this; the two most fun, laughing and happy people I know both have depression. So don't ever let it stop you. If you want to, you can beat it. It is hard. But it can be done. And remember, you have friends and family there for a reason. Use them, damn it. You're going to need them.

That's me done for today. Tomorrow is K for Knowledge, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)