Find what you're looking for

Sunday 6 December 2015

30 Day Songwriting Challenge

I realised when I went to write this post that I didn't have 'Music' as a label yet. My goodness! This situation is now resolved. Anyway.

I haven't been writing a lot of songs for a while. And that's not necessarily a bad thing - it's meant that the ones that I have written have been of a higher quality, had more thought behind them, been more important to write. Or that's the idea, anyway.

But I've got a bit more time on my hands at the moment, and I wanted to get back into the swing of this creative stuff. So I'm setting myself a 30 day songwriting challenge. Someone smart would probably start this at the beginning of the month - but I only found it yesterday, and I can't start it at the beginning of next month, because I'll be away in India for part of it. So going to be starting in the middle instead!

I don't know if I'll be starting bang on today, but I'll be starting soon. I have 37 days, including today, and then on the 38th day I'm leaving for India. So that only gives me seven days leeway to play with - and bear in mind, we've got Christmas and New Years' in there. So I rather think I might need it.

Now, hopefully, each day I'll be not only writing the song, but also posting the lyrics up here and the video up on YouTube. However, going from my experience of the last songwriting challenge I did, I may be a bit slower on the latter. Hopefully I can improve on last time, though!

You can see what I'll be doing for the challenge below. I found this list here. Letting you folks know now that I'm expecting to have to take a break from this on Christmas Day, and either New Years' Eve or New Years' Day. And then I've got five other days as leeway if I need them. Hopefully I won't.

Day 1: Write a platonic love song
Day 2: Write a song in something besides common time
Day 3: Write a song with a key change
Day 4: Write a song about secrets
Day 5: Write a song that involves nicknames
Day 6: Write an a cappella song
Day 7: Write a duet
Day 8: Write a song with a happy melody and sad lyrics
Day 9: Write a song with a sad melody and happy lyrics
Day 10: Write a love song
Day 11: Write a song about an adventure
Day 12: Write a song about fighting fears
Day 13: Write a song longer than 5 minutes long
Day 14: Write a song shorter than 1 minute
Day 15: Write a song involving a foreign language
Day 16: Write a thank you song
Day 17: Write a resentful song
Day 18: Write a song using 2 chords
Day 19: Write a song with a pickup
Day 20: Write a song about a fictional idol
Day 21: Write a song about a "real" idol
Day 22: Write a song using a painfully obvious metaphor
Day 23: Write a song with partially alliterative lyrics
Day 24: Write a song about something viseral
Day 25: Write a thoughtful song
Day 26: Write a dance song
Day 27: Write a song about anxiety
Day 28: Write a song about a stupid royalty
Day 29: Write a story that plays out over 3 songs. Yeah it's 3 songs in one day, but it's one story. Call it a three-fer.

Day 30: Write a song about writers block. Wonderfully, you can't get writers block on this prompt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)