Find what you're looking for

Monday 21 December 2015

Day 13 - Long Way Round

And we've reached Day Thirteen. Unlucky for some....today, the target was to write a song that went for over five minutes. Not too hard for me, you'd think, what with my songs....well, this one only just made it. Bit hard to tell how long it's going to be when you're writing! But I did three verses, chorus after each, plus a bridge and double chorus at the end, and only just pipped five minutes. Sheesh.

Anyway. This one was interesting. When I sat down to write at first, I wasn't feeling particularly inspired. Really wasn't getting anywhere, actually. So I put it aside, thought I'd come back to it later. Later on, remembered what I did when I didn't have inspiration - just start describing. So that's how the song starts off, because it's been a hot day here in Sydney, Australia. I also came up with the chorus pretty quickly. The verses took a little longer; and at one point, I was wondering whether I'd actually put this up - if I'd just say that I'd written it, or if I'd try to write another one. I wasn't going to do the latter, really, it's late already. But then I wrote the third verse, and the bridge. And I knew this one was going up.

It's pretty raw, pretty real, and doesn't necessarily reflect truth particularly well. Just tired old me putting words on a page. Not as funny and strange as some of the others so far, but a lot of heart behind it. Hopefully some people will like that. Lyrics below, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ce4XxkPj6o


Long Way Round

V1: / IV / I / V / vi / x3 / IV / I / V //
The night is warm
Though not as warm as my face
Whenever you are within fifty metres
Of this place
The breeze is cool
How I wish I could be when I’m with you
But I’m falling over myself

C: / IV / I / V / vi / x3 / IV / V / I / V / vi /
I’m all in,
That’s all I know, that’s who I am
Who I’ve always been
But you’re not me
You have to take the long way round
And it’s hard just taking it day by day
But I’ll be there with you
Every step of the way

V2:
This body is tired
Of trying to live a life by myself
Making my strength my wealth
When I’m not strong
The days are long
When I’m spending my time thinking of you
And I’m looking forward
To seeing you soon

C

V3:
I am weak
I have nothing to offer you
That I can give
Only pain and hurt
I am broken
From all that has gone before
And I’ve never managed to close the door
Just hoped that I’d pull through

C

B: / IV // V // x2 / IV // V / vi / IV // V //
But my Father says
I am more than this
My Father says
I am not my brokenness
My Father says
That He will give what I can't
So I can give all I am to Him
And through Him to you

C x2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, tell me what you think. I'm not psychic, and I want to know :)